Thursday 10 February 2022

Beyond Science

 Beyond Science

There was this argument going on between two ladies. “Don’t you ever give my child fish and egg together.  It’s a very harmful combination. I have done a course in ‘Nutrition’. …blah,blah,blah”, a young lady was telling (almost shouting at her) an elderly woman, who was at her wits end. The husband of the young lady too joined in and attacked the poor old lady. He told her to call any doctor to confirm what his wife was saying was true.

That young lady did not have science background, neither did her husband, though she claimed that she had done a course in ‘Nutrition’. My contention is why are these people, who no science background, allowed to science based courses. 

So this is what I wrote to all my doctor friends, doctor cousins and nephews and nieces:


 I am writing this  to all my doctor friends, my cousins and nephews and nieces, who are in Medical profession. Some nutritionist claims that eating fish and eggs together is harmful and they should never be consumed together. What do you say. I don't agree.  My take on the subject is this:.                      

  Both fish and eggs are proteins ( soft) and there can't be any possible chemical adverse reaction taking place in our stomach. In fact, it's the combination of two excellently healthy proteins that makes it work wonders In fact, the amino acids in eggs help the body to metabolise protein so combining protein-rich eggs with protein-rich fish creates a major protein hit. 

Do reply, and correct me if I am wrong,

Many doctors were very kind enough to  send in their prompt replies in spite of their busy schedule and some even called me to have detailed discussion. 

A heading the Cardiology Department in a reputed rubbished it and called it utter nonsense. While talking to me on the subject, he asked me as to why do the so called expert in alternate have approach us, even leading to  medical emergency at times, seeking medical help. Why can't they use their own expertise then?

A niece of mine, who is a doctor in a Super Speciality Hospital, in Mumbai, wrote to me, " Vinay mama, I totally agree with you."

Dr. Ronnie Coutino, my school classmate, who now practices in US, wrote , "My opinion is that eating fish and eggs together is not harmful. Honestly, I haven’t read anything about this combination being harmful"

 My cousin, also a doctor, sent a photo copy of a pamphlet and wrote a foot note  below it, 'Probably, the person read this',

My cousin alsovcalled me and said, " Gglancing at that chart and goingwill find  it very difficultto eat anything with anything. " 

I had drawn that conclusion much before he called.

  I am reproducing the same over here: The pamphlet says the things written in Capital Letters are the most difficult and dangerous to eat with the given combinations.


To make more readable I enlarged the font of the  chart/ The charts shows  what is not to be eaten with what. 


S.No.

Not to eat

With

1

Beans

Fruits, cheese,eggs,fish.milk,meat,yogurt.

2

Eggs

Fruits (melons, ),beans,cheese, fish, kitchari, milk, meat, yogurt.

3

Fruit

Anything, exception certain cooked combinations as well as dates and milk, which have the same rasa avirya  and vipaka.

4

Grains

Fruits, tapioca.

5

Honey

Ghee

6

Hot drinks

Mangoes, cheese, fish, meat, starch, yogurt.

7

Lemon

Cucumber, milk, tomatoes, yogurt.

8

Melons

EVERYTHING

9

Milk

BANANAS, bread containg yeastfish, meat, yogurt, cherries, kitchari.

10.

Nightshades (potato, tomato)

Melon, cucumber, dairy products.

11

Radishes

Bananas, raisins, milk/

12

 Tapioca

Fruit (banana, mango) jaggary, raisins, beans.

13

Yogurt

Fruit,cheeses,, eggs, fish,, milk, as above.


Now item number 9 Milk  combined with BANANA, would be highly difficult and dangerous to eat. My grand mother used to me this very mixture of bananas and milk ( श्रीकरण ) since I was four years old and I loved eating it with chappati (चपाती) and I still do. Now instead of milk I eat curds and banana. Neither combinations (milk with banana or curds with banana) has harmed me anyway. 

Item number 2 Eggs with fish / meat  as staed above In fact, the amino acids in eggs help the body to metabolise protein so combining protein-rich eggs with protein-rich fish creates a major protein hit. We eat them together quite often. It hasn't harmed us in any manner. 

 Item number 7/ 10 Nightshades, especially tomatoes- we have been eating tomatoes with cucumber, with or without  liberal use of lemon juice in various salad recipes (कोशिंबीर)  and a dish we call (खमंग काकडी) made of cucumber, grated coconut aand crushed pea nuts with or without curds. Needless to say, eating these salads harmed us.

Item number 5, no puja will be complete withot पंचामृत or पंचांम्रुत or Panchamrit , which is a mixture of five foods ( 5 Amruts)used in Hindu as well as Jain worships and pujasand Abhishekasand as offerings during puja. It is distrbuted post puja  and even served during wedding dinners and lunches,  The five ingredients, accoding to Ayurveda , should  be sugar, cow milk, ghee , curds and honey. 

I am keeping this write up of mine open as I am expecting a few more responses from medical professionals.

But this unscientific claims by these so called nutritionists is beyond my imagination and certainly Beyod Science!


                                                                        Vinay Trilokekar


No comments:

Post a Comment