Sunday 14 May 2017

Our Mother and गावाची अलक मावशी !

Our Mother and गावाची अलक मावशी !



One doesn’t need a special day to remember one’s mother. Nevertheless, if I don’t say anything about my mother on this internationally declared ‘Mother’s Day’ …..

My mother, oops our mother (I want to share my feelings with my sisters as well) was great. Ah, that’s what every child feels about his mother, you’d say. Every mother takes care of her children, you’d say, and may be rightly so. But my mother was different and special, not just to us, my four sisters and me. I remember once late Mr. Pramod Navalkar, who was Maharashtra’s  Cultural Minister then, had written in our community magazine 'प्रभू प्रभात (Prabhu Prabhat) as well as in  one of दिवाळी अंक (Diwali issue) of ‘ भटक्यांची भ्रमंती ' (Bhatkyachi Bhramanti) about her. He had called गावाची अलक मावशी (Alak aunty of the neighbourhood) . He had written thus (may be not in verbatim, but just the gist of it) : 'आमच्या अलक मावशी गावाच्याच आहेत. (She was alive then). आपल्या पांच लेकरांसोबत चाळीतील सर्व मुलांमुलींना घेऊन दिवाळीत मौज मजा करण्यास घेऊन जात असत. एवढेच नाहीतर आपल्या लहानश्या घरात मुलींच्या मैत्रिणींचे मंगळागौर सारखे कार्यक्रम देखील साजरे करून मुलींना महेरपण दिले. ... अलक मावशी वाघीण आहेत. त्यांचा चाळीत मोठा दरारा. त्यामुळे त्यांच्या मुलीची चेष्टा सोडा वाईट नजरेने बघण्याचे कोणही घडास करीत नव्हते. ...'

 Yes, she played that role of aunty to the others as well as being our mother perfectly while she raised us. She had full faith in God and her doctors. She believed that our deity, Vrajreshwari had the power to solve any problem. 'Your son is not getting admission in school', 'you are finding it difficult to get a suitable match for your daughter',  or any other problem and she had ready made solutions to all of them. " Come with me to Vrajreshwari ,  देवीला साकडं घाल की काम झाल्यावर मी परत येईन, and your desires will be fulfilled."

Once Dr. Chaukar (a gold medallist, top ranker  and a friend of my cousin) wanted to be be assistant to Dr. Ernest Borges Dr. Borges had rejected him. My cousin told him Alak maushi would do his work and she did manage to do his work after he promised that he would come with her to Vrajreshwari temple. One fine morning he did come to our place and took her to the temple. Such was her faith! 

 Once one of my acquaintances, Dr. Anita, called me to tell me that how she was surprised when Dr. Prafulla B. Desai (a Padma Bhushan recipient and her dad’s student) remembered my mother. I told her that my mom was the first cancer patient that he operated upon and I went on to tell how her dad, Dr. Ernest Borges, considered my mom as his sister and hence declined to operate on her then and asked his student, Dr.P.B.Desai to perform the surgery instead. All went well for my mother. She was indebted to both of them and of course to the Almighty. She would quite often express these feelings of her having full faith in both of them and she was so very grateful to them for enabling her to lead and live normal life. Incidentally, prior to my mother’s death, Tata Memorial Hospital records showed my mother as ‘the longest surviving cancer patient’ with her photograph below it and which would often be circulated among the resident cancer patients as a morale booster. In fact, Dr. Borges would tell me, “This lady deserves A Nobel, if there was one for fighting so bravely against such a dreadful disease. I admire her will power and desire to live.” Incidentally, Dr. Borges passed away much before my mother did.

Dr. Ernest Borges, considered my mom as his sister and hence declined to operate on her then telling her ‘she being his sister he couldn’t put a knife on her’ and his student, Dr.Praful B.Desai would perform the surgery instead’. May be it was his way of introducing his student to his first surgery at the same time putting the patient’s mind at rest. All went well for my mother. She was indebted to both of them and of course to the Almighty. She would quite often express these feelings of her having full faith in both of them and she was so very grateful to them for enabling her to lead and live normal life. Incidentally, prior to my mother’s death, Tata Memorial Hospital records showed my mother as ‘the longest surviving cancer patient’ with her photograph below it and which would often be circulated among the resident cancer patients as a morale booster. In fact, Dr. Borges would tell me, “This lady deserves ‘A Nobel’, if there was one for fighting so bravely against such a dreadful disease. I admire her will power and desire to live.” Incidentally, Dr. Borges passed away in 1969, much before my mother did. Even after the surgery she religiously followed her doctors' advice and underwent radiations and chemotherapy regularly. 

Yes, she had this desire and own reasons to survive, first it was for her son (that’s me),who was schooling then - She would say, " Doctor, I always tell my God, my son is young, let him ---then He can take me."  The list was long and kept changing  - wanted him to complete his graduation, then getting employed, then wait for his marriage and those of her daughters and then to see her grand children and got the bonus of seeing her great- grand - child as well. Now she had fulfilled her desires. Now she no longer any reasons to live and she had nothing to look forward to. Everyone was doing reasonably well in life. It was her moment of contentment. She no longer had any more of that desire to live. She simply passed away on 30th August, 1988 many years after her doctor – Dr. Ernest Borges, the eminent oncologist, had passed away. We all are indebted to the entire BORGES FAMILY and Dr. Prafulla B, Deasi, who is today a top consulting cancer surgeon and recipient of Padma Bhushan.  

Had I been a good writer, I could write volumes on her. Had I been Maxim Gorky, I could write a novel on her. But here it is just small piece as a tribute to this great lady.  

                                                                                                        Vinay Trilokekar

No comments:

Post a Comment